St. Rupert's Festival

In the spirit of backtracking Salzburg celebrated their patron saint, St. Rupert at the end of September. This celebration was awesome, because they erected carnival rides and a giant beer and sausages garden, as well as tons of street vendors in one of the large squares in the old town.
Everywhere, people were celebrating. And often times wearing the traditional dress, which is Lederhosen for the men and Dirndl's for the women.  Now, I just realized the horribleness of the fact that I don't seem to have any creeper pictures of traditionally dressed locals, so for now you'll have to take a look at some that google turned up.
 The festival had tons of sweets. Marshmallow filling seemed to be a common one, as well as gingerbread shaped hearts with different German sayings on them. I was only there a few hours before leaving for Budapest but it was such a neat celebration it made me wish I could be here next year so I could celebrate St. Rupert again, and go on some of the rides!

0 comments: